Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tomato Sauce







If you still have tomatoes left in the garden...here's a good way to use them up.

I use about 2-3 large collanders full of tomatoes. (I'm guessing this is about 10 lbs or you can use 6-7 large cans of stewed tomatoes)

Wash the tomatoes and blend them in the food processor into a puree.

In a LARGE stock pot heat 1/2 olive oil on medium heat.

Add 6-7 cloves of crushed garlic.

Brown the garlic in the olive oil until a light golden color.

Add 1 TBS of red pepper flakes.

Add all of the pureed tomatoes to the pot and bring to a boil.
Continue to simmer for 3-5 hours. (It's a long time but your house will smell wonderful!)

Stir occasionally.

Towards the end add 1/2 cup of fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste.
You can serve this over hot pasta or use it as the base to a meat sauce.

I freeze the extras in yogurt containers or gallon bags.

Buon Appetito!!!



1 comment:

  1. What a great picture! You are becoming quite the gourmet photographer too!
    When I move back home, we shall have to have dinner parties and I can photograph all your food and you can post it here. Although you might not need me!

    ReplyDelete