Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Elk Meatballs

Since my dad shot an Elk this year, I have been trying to cook with it more and more. These meatballs turned out delicious. Even if you are afraid of the "gamey" taste...you'll like these!

1 lb Elk or Venison Hamburger
1 lb Beef Hamburger
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I make my own with gluten-free bread by blending up slices of bread in the food processor, but the ones from the box work great too!)
5 cloves of grated or crushed garlic
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
salt & pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl, mix both types of hamburger with 3 whole eggs, 1 cup of bread crumbs, grated garlic, chopped basil, salt, and pepper. I just "dig in" with my hands and work it all together until it is well mixed.

Heat about 1/4 cup of oil in a large skillet.

Roll the mixture into balls. (About the size of a golf ball)

Sautee the meatballs on med-high heat in the skillet until they are cooked through, 8-10 minutes.

Drain the oil from the meatballs by placing them on paper towels.

These are great as a main course or over pasta with a fresh tomato sauce.

1 comment: